Adsense Skyscrapper

Agbogbloshie Traders Reject 24-Hour Economy Market Project

Traders at the Agbogbloshie Market in Accra have protested against plans to evacuate them to make way for the construction of a 24-Hour Economy Market.

The traders, dressed in red, took to the streets to express their concerns about the planned development. They fear that the evacuation could affect their businesses, livelihoods, and homes.

In a video dated August 15, 2026, which surfaced online, the traders were seen protesting the planned redevelopment and expressing their opposition to the proposed market structure. One of the traders was heard shouting in Twi, a local Ghanaian language, “24-Hour Economy Market Project, we don’t want it.”

The protest follows a one-month notice issued by the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA), asking traders and other occupants in the area to leave. The notice, which was issued on August 4, 2026, is expected to expire on August 28. The AMA has said it will begin removing structures in the affected areas after the deadline.

The areas affected include the Agbogbloshie Cargo Station, the Nzema Market, and parts of the Yam Market.

The traders, however, say they were surprised by the planned demolition. A spokesperson for the traders, Mboranam Solomon, said about 946 structures had been marked for demolition.

The traders also said the proposed 24-Hour Economy Market was not what they had been promised before the 2024 general elections. According to them, President John Dramani Mahama had promised to improve the existing market by leveling the ground with gravel and constructing proper drainage gutters to improve trading conditions. They said they were not promised a complete replacement of the market with a new structure.

The planned evacuation has created fear and uncertainty among the traders, many of whom depend on the market for their daily income. Some also live in the affected area and fear they could lose both their homes and businesses.

The traders said the stress surrounding the proposed redevelopment has also affected the health of some people, with some reportedly suffering serious health problems, including heart attacks.

They are therefore appealing to President Mahama and the AMA to reconsider the demolition plans and engage them in discussions before taking further action.

The traders want the government to improve the existing market through better drainage, leveling, and other basic facilities while allowing them to continue their businesses. They believe such improvements would solve many of the problems at the market without forcing them to leave their businesses and homes.

 

 

Comments are closed.