Ghanaians seem highly impressed with the latest Coronavirus (Covid-19) recoveries. They believe the current recovery level is impressive.
GHS reported on May 15, 2020 that 790 more people have recovered from coronavirus. That has increased the recoveries to 1,460, the GHS says.
Ghanaians have hailed the latest update, with optimism that the country is on a good path to recovering from the pandemic.
An attempt by an aide to former President John Mahama to however question the sincerity of the latest recoveries has received backlash.
Ghanaians have chided her for attempting to politicize the figures, as they strongly believe the latest update is encouraging and should be welcomed by all.
Volta Records 28 COVID-19 Recoveries, One Death
Recoveries from the novel coronavirus in the Volta region have jumped from nine to 28 representing, 19 new recoveries.
The region has also recorded its first COVID-19 death out its 34 confirmed cases.
A case from the Agotime-Ziope District last week is what brought the region’s COVID-19 cases to 34.
Out of the 28 recoveries, all 21 cases from the Ketu South Municipality have recovered; thus the municipality has recorded a 100 percent recovery rate as of last Friday.
The seven other recoveries represent two cases from Ho, the regional capital and five cases from Hohoe.
The Deputy Director of Health Services in the Region In Charge of Public Health, Dr. Senanu Kwesi Dzokoto who confirmed this noted that the recoveries were expected since most of them were responding to treatment very well.
He was hopeful that the remaining patients will also recover soon.
The region’s first COVID-19 death is reported to have occurred last Thursday, May 14, 2020 at the COVID-19 treatment centre of the Ho Teaching Hospital.
It involves a 60-year-old woman who was rushed to the teaching hospital last Sunday, 10 May, 2020.
The lady who was unconscious at the time was resuscitated and samples collected for testing.
Three hours later the test results from the laboratory of the University of Health and Allied Sciences (UHAS) confirmed the woman to be positive.
She is reported to have died due to some underlining health conditions having been rushed to the hospital with difficulty in breathing, fever for three days and reduced level of consciousness.
Prior to her admission to the hospital that fateful Sunday at about 6:15 pm, she was noticed to have been progressively getting weak after moving to Ho from Accra two weeks ago.
A report by the GNA said, the deceased was a known diabetic who had suffered a Cerebro-Vascular Accident (CVA) a few years ago.
She had also been diagnosed of severe pneumonia before.
While at the hospital she was clinically managed in conformity with the established clinical protocols for the various disease conditions.
Since she died, psychosocial support has been given to the family and all contacts. Appropriate burial procedures were also underway.
39 Staff Quarantined
Meanwhile 39 health personnel including ten doctors, 28 nurses and an orderly are on quarantine as a result of various levels of exposure to the deceased. The Deputy Regional Director of Health Services, Dr. Senanu Djokoto said it was a precautionary measure.
More so contact tracing and testing was ongoing while the Emergency Unit which was closed down for disinfection on Monday, May 11, have been opened to the public since last Wednesday May 13, 2020.