NPP Resolves Elembelle Constituency Impasse
The acting General Secretary of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), Mr John Boadu, has resolved the polling station dispute which occurred at the Ellembelle constituency in the Western region.
The feuding factions met the acting NPP scribe to bury their differences and allow elections to be conducted in the affected polling stations right to the constituency.
This was indicated in a statement issued by the General Secretary of the Party.
Below is the full statement:
The NPP leadership is pleased to announce that the party has finally been able to amicably resolve the seemingly intractable challenges that have beleaguered the polling station elections at the Ellembelle Constituency. This follows an intervention by the acting General Secretary, John Boadu who convened a meeting on the 3rd day of April, 2018, with all the feuding factions in the Elembelle stalemate and other stakeholders for the purpose of arriving at an amicable settlement to the dispute, which has also been fraught with court actions.
At the said meeting, it was observed that a purported settlement terms appeared to have been executed by some of the defendants in a suit entitled, Barnabas Ewereko and 4 others vrs New Patriotic Party and 9 others. This purported settlement terms, however, was never executed by the New Patriotic Party or any officer authorized by the party to execute same on its behalf. It was also not executed by some of the parties to the suit.
After extensive deliberations which lasted for several hours, all the parties have agreed on the following roadmap:
1) That, a 7-member Polling Station/Constituency Elections Committee be constituted to see to the conduct of polling station, electoral area and constituency executives elections in the Elembelle Constituency.
2) That, the said committee be constituted by 3 national representatives appointed by the national party in consultation with the regional executive committee and regional minister as well as 2 representatives appointed by each of the two feuding factions. The national reps are: Kwaku Afari (chairman), Capt. Kwabena Adu (secretary) and Tining Amoako, whereas the other representatives appointed by each of two feuding factions are: Daniel Ntiako, Stephen Yaw, Isaac Polley and Amonle Amartey.
3) All the feuding parties have agreed that 25 selected polling station election results shall stand and not be disturbed.
4) The parties have further agreed that fresh elections be conducted in the remaining 92 polling stations in the Constituency from Saturday, 7th to Wednesday, 11th April.
5) That, Electoral Area Coordinators’ elections be held from 13th to 15th April, 2018
6) That, the Elembelle Constituency primaries/elections be held on 18th April, 2018
7) That, appointment of other constituency officers shall be done on 19th April, 2018
8) That, this settlement agreement or roadmap shall be binding on all parties
Except as otherwise provided for in this agreed roadmap, the party’s guidelines for the conduct of polling station and constituency elections shall guide the conduct of these elections.
The party, in the light of the foregoing, anticipates the full cooperation of all the parties to this settlement agreement and wishes all the prospective candidates the very best of luck.
General Secretary (Ag)