Syria ‘Chemical Attack’: US Weighs Up Military Response
The US says “all options are on the table” in response to a suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria, as Western leaders continue to weigh up military action.
White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters that no final decision had been taken on military strikes.
But she said the US holds Russia and Syria responsible for the incident.
The US National Security Council is to meet on Thursday, while UK PM Theresa May has called a cabinet meeting.
Activists, rescue workers and medics say dozens of people died in the rebel-held town of Douma on Saturday.
But President Bashar al-Assad’s government – which receives military backing from Russia – denies being behind any chemical attack.
The US, UK and France have agreed to work together and are believed to be preparing for a military strike in response to the alleged chemical attack at the weekend.
Defence Secretary James Mattis said the US was still assessing the chemical attack, but added that the military stood ready “to provide military options if they are appropriate as the president determines”.
The White House said the president had not laid down a specific timetable for when military strikes may take place.
A US Navy guided-missile destroyer, the USS Donald Cook, is in the Mediterranean Sea.