Sixty-two Ghanaians have been killed and 15 others remain missing in connection with the Russia-Ukraine war, Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has disclosed.
Mr Ablakwa made the disclosure during a press conference in Moscow following bilateral talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, as part of his three-day working visit to Russia.
In a subsequent post on his official X page, dated August 18, 2026, Mr Ablakwa said the number of Ghanaian deaths had increased from the previously reported 55.
“Unfortunately, the number of Ghanaian deaths in Russia has gone up. 62 Ghanaians have now died, and 15 who travelled to Russia remain missing.”
The latest figures come amid growing concerns over the recruitment of Ghanaian youth to Russia, with some reportedly being lured by promises of employment before being enlisted to take part in military operations.
Mr Ablakwa said stopping the alleged illegal recruitment of Ghanaian citizens was one of the key issues raised during his discussions with Mr Lavrov.
He said Ghana was particularly concerned about young people who travel to Russia expecting to take up jobs but later find themselves fighting in the Russia-Ukraine war.
“During our press conference in Moscow with Foreign Minister Lavrov after our bilateral engagement, I disclosed that an important matter to Ghana was how to stop the illegal recruitment of Ghanaian youth who are lured and end up fighting in the Russia-Ukraine war,” Mr Ablakwa said.
The Minister said the Ghanaian government had received information indicating that Ghanaians were being recruited through deceptive job offers and later drawn into the conflict.
The government has previously stated that at least 272 Ghanaians have been recruited into the Russia-Ukraine war since 2022.
Mr Ablakwa said some of the affected Ghanaians were victims of manipulation, misinformation and criminal trafficking networks.
He said the government was working to investigate suspected recruitment networks and dismantle illegal schemes operating within Ghana.
Russia pledges cooperation
According to Mr Ablakwa, the Russian government has pledged to work with Ghana to prevent the illegal enlistment of Ghanaian citizens into military operations.
“I welcome the pledge of the Russian Government to work with the Government of Ghana to stop the illegal enlistment of our youth,” he said.
The Minister said Ghana would continue engaging Russian authorities and pursuing diplomatic and advocacy efforts to protect its citizens from being recruited into the conflict.
“The Government of Ghana will continue to lead advocacy on this matter and ensure that our youth are protected from harm’s way. This is not our war, and it should not be claiming Ghanaian lives,” he added.
During the bilateral discussions, Mr Lavrov also addressed concerns over the involvement of foreign nationals in the Russian military.
According to a report by DW Africa, Mr Lavrov rejected the suggestion that foreigners were being lured into the war and maintained that foreign nationals fighting alongside Russian forces had voluntarily signed military contracts.
Mr Ablakwa also indicated that Ghana was engaging Ukraine over the fate of two Ghanaians previously reported to have been captured on the battlefield.
Comments are closed.