GPHA Workers Threaten to Ground Port Over MPS Contract
Workers Union of the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA) has threatened to halt work at the Tema Port if government and stakeholders do not immediately review the contract of the Meridian Ports and Services (MPS).
Emmanuel Neequaye, GPHA Union Chairman, made the threat during an open forum at a day’s symposium organized by the Tema District Council of Labour (TDCL) towards the celebration of this year’s May Day.
Neequaye, who was visibly displeased with the operations of MPS, said the Tema Port was in jeopardy as Ghanaian stevedoring companies were folding up.
“In some few years, Ghana and Ghanaians will not own the Port of Tema again, MPS will gradually take over its operations from the GPHA”, he stated.
He therefore called on the Trades Union Congress of Ghana (TUC) and other stakeholders to press on government to review the contract establishing the MPS.
He revealed that the Union over the years have been dialoguing with the needed authorities but were yet to see any move towards a review saying that, “I am telling you that we have given ourselves sometime and will go on the streets”.
“We will hit the streets and don’t be surprised to hear that activities at the Port has been grounded”, he stressed.
Meridian Ports and Services was established in 2002 as a joint venture between the GPHA and the Meridian Port Holdings Limited which comprised of Bollore Group and APM Terminals.
It currently handles 60 per cent of stevedoring works, shore handling, storage and delivery of containers. The remaining 40 per cent is handled by GPHA and other local stevedoring companies.