Adsense Skyscrapper

No Ebola Cases in Ghana So Far- Health Ministry Assures

The Ministry of Health has assured the Ghanaians that the country, so far has not recorded any suspected or confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), despite recent outbreaks reported in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda.
The Ministry says the development has, however, triggered heightened precautionary measures across the country to strengthen Ghana’s preparedness and response systems and reduce the risk of possible importation.
In a press release issued on May 18, 2026, the Ministry stressed that Ghana remains free from the disease and is working closely with international health partners to monitor the situation closely.
“The Ministry of Health wishes to inform the public that recent cases of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) have been reported in some African countries. According to updates from the World Health Organization (WHO) and Africa CDC, confirmed and suspected cases have recently been reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda. Ghana has not recorded any suspected or confirmed case.
The Ministry of Health is working in collaboration with international health partners, have activated precautionary measures nationwide to strengthen the country’s preparedness and response systems,” the statement.
As part of the response, the Ministry says it has intensified surveillance and screening measures at all entry points, including airports, seaports, and land borders. These steps are aimed at detecting possible cases early, especially among travellers arriving from affected countries.
Health authorities have also increased monitoring of passengers and strengthened border health teams to ensure strict screening procedures are followed. The Ministry says these measures are meant to prevent any possible entry and spread of the virus into the country.
In addition, health workers across the country are being trained and equipped to identify, isolate, and manage suspected Ebola cases safely. Emergency response teams have also been placed on alert to respond quickly if any suspected case is detected.
The Ministry further explained that public health emergency coordination systems have been activated nationwide to ensure that all regions are prepared for any possible outbreak situation. This includes strengthening rapid response teams and improving communication between health facilities.
Public education has also been intensified. The Ministry says it is increasing awareness campaigns to educate citizens on the symptoms of Ebola and how to protect themselves from infection. These campaigns are being carried out through various media platforms and community outreach programmes.
Ebola Virus Disease is described as a severe and often fatal illness that spreads through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected persons or contaminated materials. According to the Ministry, symptoms include fever, weakness, headache, vomiting, diarrhoea, and in severe cases, bleeding.
The Ministry is urging the public to remain calm and follow all preventive measures strictly. These include regular handwashing with soap under running water, using alcohol-based hand sanitisers, and avoiding direct contact with the bodily fluids of sick persons.
It also advised the public to avoid handling or consuming sick or dead wild animals and to ensure that all meat is properly cooked before consumption. People are further encouraged to report any suspected symptoms to the nearest health facility immediately.
Finally, the Ministry cautioned against misinformation and urged citizens to rely only on official updates from the Ministry of Health and the Ghana Health Service to avoid panic and confusion.

Comments are closed.