Zimbabwe’s Mr. Ugly Pageant Is Back
Ater failing to host the event last year, organizers of the Mr Ugly pageant are gearing for this year’s provincial finals which are set to kick off next month. Zimbabwe is searching for its ugliest man after a year’s break due to lack of funding to organise the annual Mr Ugly contest.
The 2017 contest will see 13 participants display their ugliness for the crown on November 25, and an opportunity to represent the country in the maiden Mr Ugly Africa contest to be held next year in South Africa.
The organiser, David Machowa, told local media that the contest which started in 2011 will look out for appearance, confidence, zeal and character to avoid problems faced in the past. Mr Ugly Zimbabwe was embroiled in controversy in 2015 when the champion Mison Sere was accused of faking his ugliness.
The runner up and three-time former champion William Masvinu said he was cheated because Sere was not naturally ugly, and too handsome for the title. Sere won $500 and Masvinu took home $100 that year. They both registered to participate in the 2016 contest which was later called off.