THE DEATH toll has risen to three so far in renewed violent clashes over an attempt to evict a group of supposed squatters and clear structures on a disputed parcel of land, at the Dagomba Line in Kumasi.
Though the Ashanti Regional Police confirmed that two people have died so far, the Municipal Chief Executive for Asokore Mampong Municipal Assembly, Alhaji Alidu Seidu said one more person had passed on by sunday evening
The deceased persons, according to ASP Godwin Ahianyoof the police Public Relations Unit, included one Zakaria, 25, and 20 year-old, Abdul. A number of people, whohad suffered life-threatening injuries during the clashes, are currently being treated.
Speaking in a radio interview, the officer regretted that initially, everything pointed to the fact that peace had been restored at the Dagomba Line, only for the feuding factions to cross swords again on Thursday.
ASP Ahianyo disclosed that an armed police/military team was dispatched to thearea,and that about 120 people, believed to have contributed to the violence, were rounded up.
He said the police would thoroughly screen the arrested people and that those that would be found culpable would be arranged.
He said a joint military/police team would be stationed at the Dagomba Line area until tension dies down.
Dagomba Line Troubles
The Dagomba Line was virtually turned into a war zone after a man had besieged the place with a court order to eject hundreds of occupants on Tuesday.
The action of the said man, reportedly, sparked trouble leading to clashes between two existing factions in the area.
Alhaji Alidu Seidu on Sunday met with the two factions and succeeded in making them smoke the peace pipe.
The MCE said the leadership of the two groups have agreed to live in peace henceforth.
Alhaji Alidu Seidu however issued a strong warning that anyone found troubling the new found peace in the area would be dealt with drastically according to law.