Adsense Skyscrapper

Minority Storms Police HQ …Seeking Justice For Sam George


The Minority in Parliament yesterday, staged a walk-out during the swearing in of NPP Parliamentary-elect for the Ayawaso West Wuogon Constituency, Lydia Seyram Alhassan.

The walkout follows the refusal of Minority to accept results of the by-election that led to the election of Ms Alhassan as Member of Parliament for the constituency.

It could be recalled that last Thursday’s by-election recorded some incidents of violence which led to the alleged assault of Samuel George, MP of Ningo Prampram and other National Democratic Congress (NDC) supporters.

The disturbance, which mainly occurred at the residence of the candidate of the NDC, Delali Kwasi Brempong, led to the withdrawal of his party midway of the voting process.

In spite of the withdrawal of the NDC, the Electoral Commission went ahead to declare Ms Alhassan, the widow of the immediate past MP for the constituency, as winner after she polled a whopping 12,041 votes.

The NDC has since been up in arms with the Electoral Commission (EC) with a call for the annulation of the said results.

Justice for George

After the walk out, the minority set out on peaceful march to seek justice for their counterpart, Samuel George, MP of Ningo Prampram, and other members of the party who were allegedly assaulted during the by-elections.

In a statement issued by the Minority, their peaceful walk to the police headquarters was one of many democratic actions to protest against what they called a ‘State-sponsored violence.”

“We are outraged that five clear days after the attack on our colleague and other victims which was well captured by the media and same being in wide circulation on social media, not a single arrest of these known bandits has been effected.

“We shall continue to demand concrete action no matter how long and how hard our quest shall be,” the statement read.

After covering a distance of approximately 2.23 km, it was the intention of the Minority members to meet Inspector General, David Asante Apeatu to seek answers to the questions they have been asking since last Thursday.

“Government is not acting on any of the videos and is making it look as if it is business as usual, just swear her in and carry on, which is wrong.

“So we thought to let the IGP know that it has been five clear days and now they are swearing her in, not a single person has been arrested, nothing has been done,” Asawase MP, Muntaka Mubarak told Joy FM.

The MPs arrived at the Police Headquarters where Mr George was asked to write a statement on the assault in the absence of the IGP and his deputies.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.