State prosecutors are set to begin the trial of dancehall artistes, Livingstone Etse Satekla, aka Stonebwoy and Charles Nii Armah Mensah, popularly called Shatta Wale.
This follows the filing of some of the documents the prosecution intends to rely on in the matter.
The prosecution led by Superintendent Emelia Asante told the Adjabeng District Court in Accra yesterday that the police have filed some of the documents and needed time to file the rest.
According to her, the state intends to call four prosecution witnesses for the trial of the two musicians.
Superintendent Asante told the court presided over by Isaac Addo that the prosecution has so far filed the witness statements and exhibits of three out of the four witnesses and were yet to file that of the last witness, urging the court to adjourn the matter to enable them file the remaining documents.
The trial judge however, in adjourning the matter ordered the police prosecutors to file all the documents they intend to rely on for the trial before July 15, 2019.
The case was subsequently adjourned to July 16.
The position of the police to press on with the matter comes at a time when the two feuding factions appear to have publicly ‘reconciled’.
At joint news conference on June 4, 2019 Stonebwoy reiterated his apology to fans of both camps for the scuffle that happened at the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA) where he pulled a gun after Shatta Wale attempted to mount the stage uninvited.
Shatta Wale, on his part, pleaded with the media to push the brand of artistes and stop publishing that end up tarnishing the images of such brands.
The two artistes were spotted in court yesterday beaming with smiles while heavily armed police officers escorted the duo out of the court.
Shatta Wale and Stonebwoy were in May 2019 hauled before the court for their involvement in the chaos that disrupted at this year’s VGMA.
The two have been charged with offensive conduct conducive to breach of the peace, and Stonebwoy is facing another charge of displaying weapon in a public place without permission.
They all pleaded not guilty to the charges levelled against them.
They were each granted bail in the sum of GH¢50,000 by the court with one surety.
The two accused persons were also cautioned by the court to be of good behaviour.
By Jeffrey De-Graft Johnson