Adsense Skyscrapper

Otumfuo’s Asamponhene ‘Killer’ Denied Bail Again


The prime suspect arrested in connection with the alleged murder of Asantehene’s Asamponhene,  Oheneba Kwadwo Afodour, has been denied bail on his second appearance at the Asokore Mampong District Court, and will spend the next nine days in prison custody.

This was after the court, presided over by Her Worship, Portia Molly Anafo-Salia, remanded him into prison custody after the prosecutor had prayed the court for more time.

The prosecutor, Inspector Edward Kwame Adade, speaking in court on Tuesday, said police investigators needed more time to gather information from the suspect, and prayed the court to remand the suspect into prison custody.

He told the media after the court: “We haven’t been able to conclude our investigations. It is a first degree felony and the duplicate docket must be taken to the Attorney General for advice. Initially, he was in our custody but today I prayed that the court remand him into prison custody. Initially he was co-operating with us, but now he is not. So for now he is going to prison.”

The court, presided over by Her Worship Portia Molly Anafo-Salia therefore remanded the suspect in prison custody to reappear on 17th October, 2019.

But, Lawyer Stephen Alewabah, holding brief for the suspect’s substantive lawyer, John Ndebugri, said they would proceed to the High Court to secure bail for their client.

“This court does not have power to be able to admit a person charged with such a felonious offence to be granted bail. The judge was very emphatic that he cannot grant the suspect bail in such matters but it can be granted by a higher court so if we are minded, we may proceed to a higher court. The suspect needs to be granted bail because under the law now, every offence is bailable.”

It would be recalled that the Asamponghene, who rendered key services to the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, was found dead in his car at a spot between Ejura and Nkoranza two months ago.

The police, after visiting the crime scene and picking key information, concluded that the traditional leader was murdered.

Sadat, who was said to be a close friend of the late chief, suddenly disappeared from his house at Odeneho Kwadaso, and was immediately declared wanted.

After painstaking investigations, the police, with the help of Interpol, arrested him several weeks later in Burkina Faso.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.